SMS PAC Meeting Notes May 4, 2015
Meeting called to order at 8:35 am
Attendees: Chelsea Etherington, Michelle Ettelstein, Suzanne Gilmer, Cindy Francois, Jenifer Snelling, Kevin McIntosh, Marianne Funderhide, Nancy Carl, Stephanie Schmidt
Principal's Report –
1. Boundary Adjustment – There will be an open house from 7 to 8pm this Thursday in the Media Center for incoming LRMS students and families. Cookies and tea will be served. There will be one in August as well.
2. Staff Appreciation week – Staff is very happy with the staff appreciation happenings this week. Suzanne looking for help with a surprise that is planned for Wednesday.
3. Smarter Balanced – Math tests and language art tests are finished. Forecasting has been completed; there is a high interest in an advanced literature class. The logistics need to be determined.
4. Budget Committee Meeting – Will be 6 to 8pm at Middleton on Tuesday May 5. Good news is that no budget reductions will be made.
5. Teachers Frankel, Workman and Rodgers wrote SEF grants for $12,000 for Chromebooks, and $5,000 for museum field trips – and they were approved.
President’s Report – Michelle Ettelstein
1. 2015-2016 budget was reviewed and discussed. As of March 2015, bank balance was $31,998. Some changes to proposed budget included increasing hospitality for conference dinners and reducing year-end luncheon budget slightly. Promoting Box Tops program by having a collection box in the office was discussed, as well as linking Target and eScrip accounts to the school. Nancy Carl will make revisions and email revised budget to PAC members for approval.
2. 8th Grade Promotion and Dance – Plans are well under way according to Michelle Ettelstein and Jenifer Snelling. Volunteers will be needed to help with set-up; teachers will chaperone the dance. The theme is Hollywood Night. Food will be pizza and assorted treats like red vines and candy. Leadership kids are getting the music list approved. Promotion ceremonies will be separate (at SHS or LRMS) but the dance will be together. Promotion will be 4 to 5pm.
3. Harvest Festival 2015 – We will wait for the OSU and SHS football schedules to be announced before choosing a date.
4. Volunteer forms – Michelle put SMS Volunteer forms in backpack mail at the elementary schools and got a great response with potential volunteers for several PAC activities
1. Treasurer – Terah Haslip will be our next Treasurer, and has experience as a former CPA
2. Hospitality – This week is Staff Appreciation week. Monday the staff received leis and packs of chewing gum. Wednesday they will be served banana splits after school.
3. School Store – Sales are down significantly due to lack of candy sales.
4. SHS PAC – Stephanie Schmidt represented the Sherwood High School PAC and is looking for members. Currently there are only 4 PAC members at the high school and the president has stepped down. Stephanie discussed how the high school PAC differs from the middle school PAC.
Next Meeting: Monday, June 1, time and place TBD
Meeting adjourned 9:40am.